Thursday, February 17, 2005

02/17/05: Trekking for the masses

Hello all!

We're still in northern Thailand - currently in Chiang Mai enjoying (not really) the 97 degree weather. I've now disposed of the warm clothing I bought in Hanoi and got rid of the "nice" clothes I brought for all the special occasions we'd happen upon (that would be Christmas dinner and...well...I guess I've worn those clothes exactly one time in four months - a great reason to toss 'em).

In Chiang Mai, we've been relaxing a bit and taking care of errands and such before we head into the government suppressed state of Myanmar (where you can't check/send web-based email - so I'll be incommunicado until March 15th or so...I can actually hear the sighs of relief). At that point, we're back in Bangkok for a few days (to recover) and then onto India!

I had my most traumatic experience here in Chiang Mai - my latest haircut. I learned that "I know English" sounds very similar to "I NO English". But once they start cutting all you can do is make sign language signals for "round" versus "flat". We also got into trouble with the word "short":
"Not too short"
"Short, short...I know short"
"No...not short...long" "Short...yes"
At this point, I am fairly certain that I may be mistaken for a Myanmese (Burman?) militant and be drafted into service.

We also had a very fun time on yet another trek (even after I swore them off after Sapa in Vietnam). This one involved riding elephants (a very fun, slightly scary experience where you've very, very high off the ground); Bamboo rafting (a very fun, slightly scary experience where you're riding about two inches above the water on pieces of bamboo that have been lashed together with some sort of twine); and stays in two hilltribe (Karen) villages.

Compared with our Vietnam trek with the hilltribes, this one definitely felt a bit more contrived and touristy - but what made this one fun was the group of people we were with. 6 people all from the same town in Brighton, England. I couldn't understand anything they said for several hours until I adjusted to the accents. Among the strange/funny events:

- One of the girls warned the group that she had panic attacks when she saw snakes. The guide assured us snakes were very, very rare on these treks. We (and she) saw two in three days. Panic DID ensue.

- One of the guys actually used his survival knife to kill a pig that we were going to eat that night. Quick and humanely done, but still very evident that the pig was in pain and then dying...and then the butchering...stuff this city boy has never seen.

- Our guide was kind of a scumbag/opportunist who hit on the girls, was very obvious in suggesting we buy him drinks, and then got very drunk the second night and had an argument with the group...strange.

- After walking for about three hours, one of the girls complained that we should have been told that we would have to hike so much. What exactly do they mean by "3 day TREK" anyway?

- And finally, the second night was perhaps the coldest I have ever been in my life. Good thing I got rid of the jacket just days before.

Regardless of the situation, we had a great time and I certainly won't forget the eventful trek anytime soon. I hope everyone is well and I'll talk to you after I get back from Myanmar!

No comments: